Don't know what this is? See the description in this post! Also see the FAQ.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Chapter 20.5-3

Zakhin'Dakh screeched, Okay! I didn't say anything. Not until he explained more.

Don't know if he knew somehow that I was waiting for more explanation or if he was just going to explain more anyway, but he continued, I am ancient beyond your knowledge, but every so often I must be reborn. It is in these moments that I am vulnerable, and the minions of Jivenesh seek this time to attack me. Even now I can sense them here... He paused. He gazed directly at me. As I can sense that you have not been untouched by the Mad One.

I froze at that. How... and if... 

Do not fear, he continued, That you are here shows that you are stronger than the Chaos which would take you.

“Thanks,” I mumbled, only half-sarcastically. Somehow the Phoenix trusted me in spite of what had happened to me made me feel a bit better.

But I fear we have little time for talk. I must give myself to the flame now, and I will need you to defend me until I am fully reborn. Assuming you are willing, of course. I could tell from the tone that he knew we'd accept.

Zakhin'Dakh reared a shrieked a challenge, almost throwing me off doing it. (He apologized later) I could feel the Phoenix's amusement, but he just said, You will not have long to wait to show your ferocity, my young friend. Look.

I looked, too. I don't have eagle eyes, but dragon eyes are at least as good. Neither of us could make out anything clearly, but we could make out a lot of movement in the valley below. Some of it seemed rather large.

I would fight at your sides, brave young ones, but I must be reborn. He hopped up into the nest he'd build. The blessings of Naishia be upon you in your battle, he said, and burst into flames.

Zakhin'Dakh shrieked in disbelief. I stayed quiet, thinking about some of the stories I'd heard... then I heard the first growls. I dismounted, pulling out my bow, as Zakhin'Dakh turned to face downhill with a deep growl. 

*****

Ooooooo, cliffhanger!

Okay, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment