Don't know what this is? See the description in this post! Also see the FAQ.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Chapter 2-1

Chapter 2: Hymns of Dragonkind

Why do I follow Bahamut? It is true that Solkh'Tolkharkha's influence has much to do with it, as I would likely never have given his teachings much thought were it not for my mentor. However, he did not force the worship of the Platinum Dragon upon me, and I had a great deal of exposure to other deities and philosophies through his library. 

Yet none spoke to me as Bahamut's doctrine did. To dedicate oneself wholly to the defense of the weaker, to live, to fight for another's life—I found in this ideal a goal I could strive for. As with any worthy ideal, I have not lived up to it perfectly, especially in my early years, but having the teachings of Bahamut to guide me, I continue to strive despite my imperfection.

And that is not all. I find, in doing this, a... peace, an inner calmness that contrasts with the savage rage I struggle against. Perhaps this is so with all the goodly gods, but I know I have found it in following Bahamut.


As he matured, Garkhen found comfort in another source, as well. From his earliest memories, he had noticed Solkh'Tolkharkha sometimes looking at or tracing an odd symbol, and from other references and the gold dragon's own occasional teachings slowly learned of Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon, God of the goodly dragons. It took him longer to discover that his mentor was, in fact, a powerful and respected Warder—a priest of Bahamut.

Once Solkh'Tolkharkha could tell that his young charge was interested, he started teaching him more earnestly of Bahamut and his ways. Garkhen eagerly listened, not only because of the time and attention the gold dragon devoted to him, but also because what Solkh'Tolkharkha spoke of stirred something deep inside the young half-dragon. The ideal of self-control, and of self-sacrifice, in the doctrine he learned touched him, much as the stories he had been reading did.

As he grew older, Garkhen studied more of Bahamut and his ways, as well as much about the world. The more he learned, the more he desired to make a difference for good in the world. He began to feel constrained by his virtual imprisonment in Solkh'Tolkharkha's lair, not for his own sake, but because he could do nothing to apply what he was learning. His mentor would only say, however, that it was not yet time, that he had much to learn and to improve upon before he could leave. With effort, Garkhen accepted this patiently and continued his studies.

*****

I debated on splitting this into another chapter, but I think it's better to do so. Next post will likely be more narrative as opposed to summary.

No comments:

Post a Comment