Don't know what this is? See the description in this post! Also see the FAQ.

Monday, May 5, 2014

Chapter 13-5

Before long one soldier braved the healer's displeasure. “Did you really grow to be twenty feet tall?”

Garkhen smiled gently. “No, though Bahamut did grant me great strength to fight.”

As if his answer had been permission, suddenly the young half-dragon was surrounded by curious soldiers, all wanting to confirm some portion of the rumors. He felt quite overwhelmed, though he tried to answer as best he could. 

By the time the healers managed to beat off the inquisitive, Garkhen felt quite exhausted. He was glad enough to return to his bed.


Over the next couple of days Garkhen quickly regained his strength. Finally he was able to go about without feeling tired. Everywhere he went he was recognized now. A simple stroll was like wading through a mob some days. He occasionally caught sight of one of the others that fought with him, but could never get through to speak with them. 

The next day Captain Telarnen called Garkhen in. “Private Garkhen,” he greeted the half-dragon. “I'm sure you've been congratulated enough already. So instead I'll ask, why can't that dragon ever say things straight out?”

Garkhen looked at him blankly. “Sir?”

“Think about it,” Telarnen said, getting up and starting to pace about. “He drops you in my Company most of the way through this campaign, without any explanation why. But he gave you that,” he pointed at Garkhen's chest, “Which from what I hear is about the only reason you've lived this long. And of course we just happen to be in the army that ends up here, now...”

He shook his head. “Sometimes I wonder how much Solkh'Tolkharkha knows. I don't suppose you'd have any better idea...?”

Garkhen shook his head. “No, sir. I am afraid I do not.” 

The Captain sighed. “Well, I suppose I should have known... well, Private, that leaves me with just one question. What will you do now?”

The half-dragon was silent for a long moment, caught off-guard by the question. “I... have not considered that, sir,” he admitted at last.

“You have a few days,” Telarnen said. “But I thought you might not have, after all you've been through. Give it some thought. Our contract won't run out for a while yet, so we're not going anywhere.”


********

Garkhen gets asked the big question! ...And has no answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment